The Penrose Strawbridge House is a circa 1721 currently undergoing restoration by the Horsham Preservation and Historical Association (HPHA)..
Curt Kaller has been a member of HPHA's Board of Directors since its founding, and CD Kaller Inc has been involved with the restoration of the Penrose-Strawbridge House since the project started.
Some of the work done by CD Kaller Inc includes:
Painted the entire exterior above 1st floor
Replaced the asphalt roof on the 1939 well building
Replaced windows above the 1st floor on the west and north facades (inside the ell) with new - historically accurate - energy efficient windows
Repaired/replaced window sills and frames
Repairing masonry and applying stucco to the entire exterior of the house
Replaced sagging pent roof (c1850) on eastern facade with new cedar shake pent roof. The original pent roof
had been removed in 1996.
Repainting all window frames above the 1st floor
The Strawbridge Farm is a 102 acre property which is now part of the Horsham Township Park system. It was originally part of Colonial Lt Governor Sir William Keith's 1200 acre estate Fountain Low (later renamed Graeme Park by Keith's son-in-law Dr Thomas Graeme), and is adjacent to the current Graeme Park which features the Keith House built in 1722 and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Graeme Park is managed by the Pennsylvania Historical Museum Commission (PHMC).
The center section of the Penrose Strawbridge House was originally a one-story, one-room pen plan cabin. This room and the basement of the building likely date to 1721 and may have been part of a brewery that Keith was to have built. Major additions were later made by the Penrose family beginning in 1810 with the erection of the 3 story front of the home, the addition of a 2nd floor above the original room in 1839, and a kitchen addition in 1859.
Graeme Park was purchased by Welsh and Margaret Strawbridge in 1920. Like the Penroses, they maintained and preserved the historic Keith House and chose to live in this farmhouse rather than in the colonial mansion. In 1958, the Strawbridges - fearing the cold war expansion of the nearby Willow Grove Air Base - donated the current 42 acre Graeme Park to the Commonwealth of PA.Welsh Strawbridge passed away in 1968. In 1986 Margaret Strawbridge sold the remaining 102 acres to the National Lands Trust. She later fell ill and the house fell into disrepair. Mrs Strawbridge died in 1996. The National Lands Trust did not want to maintain the buildings on the property so in 1998 they sold the Penrose Strawbridge Farm to Horsham Township.
Horsham Township later leased the buildings and part of the farm to HPHA. The goal of HPHA is to restore the property to its condition in the late 1800's.